Saturday, May 30, 2009

iPod Cozy

I finished the iPod cozy this afternoon! This is my first crochet project in probably a year and half, so I am rather proud of myself, especially since I free handed the entire project.

The project was crocheted using Lion Brand Glitterspun and a size E hook. I selected that instead of the size I-9 which the package recommends in order to get a sturdier fabric.

I started by making a chain slightly longer than my iPod is wide and then single crocheted in the round by not turning when I reached the end of the chain. Instead, I crocheted along the other side of the chain. When I reached the first single crochet again, I still didn't turn, but instead stepped up and crocheted the bag in one long spiral. This a) eliminated the need for pesky turning chains and b) created a more uniform fabric which I think better displays the fun yarn.

I made the cozy a couple of inches taller than it needs to be for the iPod, so that it can fit a recording attachment when my husband uses it. The pouch can't be closed that way, but at least everything fits. When it's jut the iPod the excess folds over to form a little flap. I added 2 extra rows to the back, making it a tiny bit taller than the front so that it looks neater when folded over. I'm very proud of the edging on that flap -- it's reversed single crochet, which was easier than it looked once I figured it out. The first time I tried it I was so confused and turned around that I ended up doing slip stitches instead of single crochets, which needless to say does not produce the desired effect!

This is far more glittery and over the top than my usual style, but I really like it. Sometimes it's fun to have a bit of crafted bling!

No comments:

Post a Comment